Welcome to Part 1 of 2 C.F.R. Uniform Guidance. In this blog post, we are going to discuss the layout, the meaning of "Should" and "Must", and the Subpart A so that you can have a better understanding of the regulations as your write and manage grants.
2 CFR 200 - MAIN LAYOUT
- Main Layout - Part 200 has 6 Subparts A through F
- Subpart A, 200.XX includes Acronyms & Definitions
- Subpart B, 200.1XX includes General
- Subpart C, 200.2XX includes Pre Award - Federal
- Subpart D, 200.3XX includes Post Award - Recipients
- Subpart E, 200.4XX includes Cost Principles
- Subpart F, 200.5XX includes Audit
- Main Layout includes - 11 Appendices - I through XI
SUBPART A-SECTION 200.XX, ACRONYMS & DEFINITIONS
200.0 has all the Acronyms that are discussed in the regulations. Here are some of the acronyms directly from the circular:
- CAS - Cost Accounting Standards
- CFDA - Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- CFR - Code of Federal Regulations
- F&A - Facilities & Administration
- GAAP- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- IBS - Institutional Base Salary
- 200. 1 through 200.00 includes Definitions --> terms used in 2 CFR 200. These definitions are applicable to all subparts such as administrative, cost principles, and audit and all types of grantees.
Here are some examples:
- 200.4 - Allocation
- 200.9 - Central service cost allocation
- 200.13 - Capital expenditures
- 200.33- Equipment
- 200.48 - General purpose equipment
- 200.61 - Internal controls
- 200.67 - Micro-purchase
- 200.73 - Oversight agency for audit
- 200.80 - Program Income
- 200.98 - Unobligated balance
- New Words "Should" and "Must"
- Should - means best practices or recommended process (previously - may).
- Must - means required
- You have to do what the regulation is saying, there is no other way. If you don't comply; you will be accountable (previously - should).
This post covers 2 CFR 200.0 thru 200.99; I hope you will find this helpful as we go on this journey together. Here's a link to the 2 CFR 200 - check it out and let me know if this blog post was helpful to you. If yes, please share your comments.
Next week, we will cover section 200. 100 & 200.200. Stay tuned.
Always I thank you for reading and please share the link with others if it is going to help someone. Also, I would love to help your team as you manage grants. We can help with all post-award activities. Contact us for a free consultation.